Sunday, March 14, 2010

Visit a Historical Time

I am inclined to say that if I could go back to any "historical" time in history, I would go back to the beginning of the marking period so I could do all of the blogs I neglected to do, but truth is I don't like looking back, I prefer looking forward. However, if I could go back to any period of time, I guess it would be Jesus Christ era Jerusalem. At first I thought I might want to visit the end of Mesozoic era to see what really killed off the dinosaurs, but that seemed too unrelated to our world today. Then I thought I would want to go to one of the world wars, but that seemed too recent, and already too well documented. The reason I finally settled of Jesus Christ era Jerusalem is it's obscurity. Little fact is actually known of this era. Most of what we think we know is based off of the bible, which is not exactly the most reliable source. After all, this same book contains stories of great worldwide floods, and human creation, many of which have basically been proven wrong in modern history. I spent my freshmen year attending Monsignor Donovan High School, where religion was a required course. Coming from a family where religion is pretty much ignored, this experience was extremely interesting to me. I could see how faithful many of the staff were to their religion, and how unfaithful others were. My history teacher once told us "To be honest, since working at this school, I have basically dropped my religion." Funny thing is, same thing happened to me. However, I can't help but wonder, what if who was Jesus Christ? The life, and possible identity of Jesus Christ is one of the most puzzling, not to mention one of the most influential mysteries in our history. His story has saved lived, as well as started wars. Countless numbers of people have died fighting for his ideals, and vice versa, even though there is not even factual content large enough to prove his mere existence. I suppose if I were to visit this place in time, I would devote my entire time attempting to see Jesus Christ, and find the line between what is fact, and what is fiction. Winston Churchill once said "History is written by the victors", and in a culture mostly dominated by Christianity, those lines become blurry. I guess the real reason I would want to play detective in Jesus Christ Era Jerusalem is to finally close the book on my beliefs. It is easy to blindly believe something, it is much harder to blindly disprove something. Without proof, I really do not know what to believe, I can only guess. For most however, this would not matter, and many would not want to know. After my one year stint at catholic school, the most important thing I was taught in religion class is that often in the bible, the themes are what matter, not the truth of the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment