Sunday, November 29, 2009

Comfort Foods

Let me start off by saying, that when I am stressed out, i try not to use food as a stress reliever. I find better results from listening to music, or exercising. However, there are certain foods that I often crave, favor during certain parts of the year, or prefer to eat at certain places. One food that I often crave is a good grilled cheese. Grilled Cheese has been one of my favorite meals since I was very young. As a kid, whenever I would go over my grandparents house, my grandpa would cook me a grilled cheese, and cut it up into four small triangles. Even today, he sometimes surprises me when I come over. It also doesn't hurt that a grilled cheese is one of the few things simple enough for me to make myself, and still enjoy it as much as a large meal. The rest is history. I have grilled cheese for lunch frequently (although never at school), and my mom frequently makes it for dinner. I even have grilled cheese while at fancy restraunts while on vacation. I will probably never get tired of grilled cheese. It will always remind me of my grandpa, and that's part of what makes it so good.
Another food that i would consider one of my comfort foods is a good macaroni and cheese. Unlike the grilled cheese, my enjoyment of macaroni and cheese cannot be associated with any specific situation, place, or time. Rather, my love for macaroni and cheese is simply something that seems to have always been. I can remember being a kid watching T.V. and seeing the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercials, and instantly craving it's taste. To me, macaroni and cheese is the perfect addition to any meal, whether it be a sophisticated steak, or a hot dog. It never feels out of place Macaroni and Cheese has always given me a certain comfortable, homey feeling that I can always enjoy.
The third, and last food that I get this feeling from are oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite kind of cookie. In fact, I do not really enjoy other types of cookies at all. As much as some may enjoy chocolate chip cookies, I think they are rather disgusting. My love for oatmeal cookies comes from a vacation to disney some years ago. We stayed at the Polynesian's conciere building, where you could simply grab food, whenever you wanted it, free. One of these foods that was always there, were oatmeal cookies. I must have eaten hundreds of them, and ever since I have practically been addicted to oatmeal cookies. Whenever my mom goes to the store, I tell her to pick up a box, and get two of them everyday at school.
These are my favorite foods. They represent a certain closeness to me, and I know I can eat them whenever I feel out of place, or whenever I want to remember a certain time.

No comments:

Post a Comment