Sunday, November 15, 2009

Noticing Drivers' Behavior

When your a kid you don't really notice the way people drive, nor are you really concerned. A car to me always represented a sort of comfort, and feeling of safety. My parents would drive me around when I couldn't fall asleep as a baby, and I would instantly fall asleep. It was almost as if i was under some sort of illusion that everyone was a safe, or good driver. This all changed once I got my license.
After getting my license or permit really, I realized that driving wasn't so easy, and that there are are actually often more bad drivers than there are good ones. Suddenly I didn't feel so safe. Today, I actually pay more attention to the road, even when I am not driving. Even my own parents, I realized were pretty bad drivers.
One of the best places to see exactly what kind of drivers different people are, is the parkway. One of the most prominent types of drivers you find on the parkway are the traffic swervers. These kinds of people come in all different kinds of cars. Some drive in old honda civics, others in bmws. All I can think when I see these people, is that they must be in a real hurry. I always picture these as the same people who floor it when the light turns green, only to be stopped right next to me at the next light. What a waste of gas. These people are all different genders and ages, but they are usually under around 50.
The next type of driver you see on the parkway is the speed limiters. They go EXACTLY the speed limit at all times, no matter what is going on around them. While there is nothing really wrong with that, it can be annoying when everyone else on the parkway is going 70, and you get stuck behind the guy going 55. After all, they aren't going to pull all of you over. These people are usually in the middle lane, where it is the most annoying, and are many times older.
The third type of parkway driver is the person who can't stay in the lines. This person might be the one that worries me the most. They are typically the multitaskers, trying to write an email, text, call, put on makeup, search the back of the car, etc. All of this while driving upwards of 60 mph in a congested parkway. You see them swerving in and out of their lane. I quickly speed past these people to assure that I do not get slammed from the side while they're not paying attention. This can be anyone.
I do not believe that someones driving really reflects their personality, the same way I do not think that someones bike riding reflects their personality. Driving is a skill, some people are better then others. Sometimes even the most wild people can be cautious drivers, and some of the most uptight proper people can be reckless drivers. In fact this is often the case. When it comes to driving, hesitance is not always the best option, as you often have to make smart decisions fast. A lot of it has to do with the car you drive.
The closest thing to an accident I have ever been in, is bumping into someone at a red light when I had my permit. It was extremely early, and as I rubbed my eyes, I slightly let my foot off the brake, and tapped the person in front of me. Luckily he simply flipped me off, and nothing else happened. However, it scared me into being more careful early, and I am a better driver because of it. When it comes to driving, I don't want to be that tool swerving through traffic, nor do I want to be the turtle, I like to be somewhere in between. I like to make driving fun, but at the same time safe, and I have so far been successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment